Saturday, October 13, 2007

Thing 16 & 17

I enjoyed learning about Wikis, and came to realize that they are only as good as the last person's entry. It's really for people who are team players and enjoy bouncing ideas off of each other and not for people that want to be in charge and have the final say. So, wikis would work for some things and not for others.

One way the library could use Wikis, is to put the book reviews that people write on their Summer Reading Game entries onto the library's catalog. I would find this to be very helpful in deciding whether this book is what I'm truly interested in reading.

I thought that it was interesting that some teachers don't allow their students to use Wikipedia as a source. It's all about facts and not opinions when it comes to research papers.

I went to SI's Wiki and edited the page per Jaye's instructions. One problem that I can see happening in the future with this page is that a long list of edits will appear and no indication of topics. (I.e. Where was Jaye's comment about ______?) It would be like the never ending email replies. You have to read through everything.

No comments: