Saturday, September 15, 2007

Thing #9

Well, I've heard the term "merlin" mentioned so often at work, that I'm glad I finally know what it is! I subscribed to MERLIN and was happy to see Beth's entry on the site. (Thanks for representing, Beth!) I look forward to hearing from "behind the scenes staff" and more specifically from accounting personnel, to learn how their departments function/operate in a library setting.

I explored all of the search tools listed for this exercise and found Bloglines to be the easiest and most helpful for me. (I even subscribed to a few more feeds, but when do I find the time to go through them all!?) The Feedster and Topix results came up with way too many unrelated hits for my search. There's that darn Boolean searching for you. I'm not sure why blogs kept being pulled, even though I would limit my search to podcasts. I really don't want to read an average Joe's opinion on my topic. I discovered that I'm starting to get lazy with my feeds and enjoy the podcasts more than the print media. Is it quicker to go through? Possibly. I can turn away from the screen and continue to hear the news, so I can do something else (ie. iron clothes) while I go though the feeds. In that sense, I feel like I'm being more efficient with my time. Oh the life of a Type A.......

No comments: